Bring Warmth and Freshness to Your Winter Breakfast
01/19/2016 02:31AM ● Published by Family Features
(Family Features) During the cold and dark winter months, it’s important to stay warm and well-nourished. Using in-season ingredients and produce is a simple way to brighten your winter blues and introduce authentic vitamin-rich flavor to your meals.
“Florida Grapefruit reaches its best taste during the heart of winter, making it a great source of fresh, nutrient-rich fruit at a time when many others are not available,” said Emily Richards, cookbook author. “I like to add Florida Grapefruit and its juice to salads, savory dishes and snacks.”
Follow this recipe from Richards for Quinoa Grapefruit Blueberry Breakfast to add Florida sunshine and a boost of energy to your blustery mornings. This refreshing breakfast combines hot quinoa with Florida Grapefruit and blueberries for a new twist on breakfast.
To learn more about Florida Grapefruit and find more recipes, visit GoFloridaGrapefruit.com.
Quinoa Grapefruit Blueberry Breakfast
- 3/4 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey or maple syrup
- 2 Florida Ruby Red Grapefruit, segmented
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup 0% vanilla or plain yogurt
- fresh mint leaves
- In small saucepan, combine grapefruit juice, water, quinoa and honey. Bring to boil; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in grapefruit and blueberries; divide into shallow bowls and top with yogurt. Garnish with mint to serve.