Get Your Home Holiday Ready
12/17/2015 02:31AM ● Published by Family Features
(Family Features) When you have a house full of visiting family members and friends this holiday season, you’ll rest easier knowing your kitchen and laundry rooms are up to the task.
From deep cleaning to ensuring appliances are in top working order, you can turn to Sears to help make your home holiday ready.
“Everyone wants their kitchen and other appliances to perform their best – especially during the holidays,” said Sean Skelley, president of home services at Sears. “There are some easy things you can do in a matter of a few minutes to prep your home for the holidays, but other maintenance may require a professional.”
The following are helpful tips from the appliance experts at Sears to help maintain your appliances this holiday season.
- The self-cleaning cycle is great for cleaning the inside of your oven, but for optimal oven maintenance, clean the grease filter regularly and consider replacing it yearly to prevent buildup. Remove and clean the filter in the kitchen sink. If your range uses charcoal filters, you’ll need to replace the filter.
- Many people use just the front two burners for everyday cooking. Check all the burners before the holidays so you can make any necessary repairs in time to cook a big meal.
- Empty the ice reservoir and remove and clean the ice maker several days before your guests arrive so the fridge has enough time to produce fresh ice for your guests.
- Clean the refrigerator inside and out, especially the condenser coils, which get covered with dirt and pet hair and make your refrigerator run inefficiently. A specially designed refrigerator brush, which you can purchase through Sears Parts Direct, is an easy solution for cleaning this hard-to-reach spot.
- If it’s time for an upgrade, consider high-performance models, such as the Kenmore PRO French door bottom mount refrigerator. This French door refrigerator offers GeniusCool Technology with Dual Evaporators to cool the refrigerator and freezer separately, helping food stay fresh. Or if a side-by-side is more your style, the Kenmore Elite side by side refrigerator provides 28 cubic feet of capacity, temperature and humidity-controlled storage bins, and glass shelves in the freezer, which provide space to stock up. And, the Accela-Ice feature boosts ice production for 24 hours so there's plenty of ice ready for the party.
- Clean the dryer lint trap after every cycle; when lint traps are clogged, it takes the dryer longer to dry clothes and can cause the appliance to overheat and shut down, or even cause fires.
- Drop a cleaning tablet into your washer every month to break up residue in your machine and wash it away, preventing odor, mold and mildew build up.
- Make sure you’re ready for an influx of laundry with the large capacity Kenmore Elite 5.2 cubic foot front-load washer, which has 14 separate wash cycles and plenty of space for towels, blankets, comforters and more. For a budget-friendly option, the Kenmore 4.3 cubic foot top-load washer, available for less than $500, delivers a high-efficiency clean with the exclusive Triple Action Impeller that cleans with three unique wash actions, including nine spray jets that attack dirt from every angle.
If you need professional help maintaining or repairing an appliance during the holidays, SearsHomeServices.com offers convenient online scheduling. For answers to all your appliance needs, visit your local Sears or Sears.com.