10 things to do in North Aurora this summer
● By Tim
1. North Aurora Community Parade and After Party on Sun., June 1. The parade will begin promptly at 3pm at Clocktower Plaza located at the corner of Randall Rd. and Oak St. The North Aurora River District Alliance will sponsor a post-parade party with food vendors and family friendly activities. For more information, visit namothersclub.org.
2. Tap your toes…Rhythm on the Riverfront Concerts return this summer. Pack up a picnic, grab lawn chairs and blankets and head to Riverfront Park to enjoy live music on the second Thursday in June, July and August.
3. Explore Lippold Park’s new boardwalk, which makes it possible for visitors to explore and learn about wetlands and wildlife – up close. The park, located between Rte. 25 and the Fox River, just north of Red Oak Nature Center, also features a nature-based playground area.
4. Take in a North Aurora Baseball Association game. Games begin May 10. For teams, schedules and fields, visit leagueathletics.com/Default. asp?org=northaurorabaseball.
5. Take a hike or bike along the riverfront. The Fox River Trail is among the state’s best according to a recent Rails-to-Trails survey of Illinois trail-users. There’s plenty of scenery to enjoy, so take it all in while getting some fresh air and exercise.
6. Giddy-up, take horseback riding lessons at Huntoon Stables. The third and fourth generation of Huntoons currently operates the stable located at 507 Oak St. Several summer camps are available, too. Visit huntoonstables.com to learn more.
7. Play golf or hit a bucket of balls at Valley Green Golf Course, 314 Kingswood Dr., valleygreengc.com. A large basket of balls is $9. Play 9 holes or 18 holes, with or without a cart; call the clubhouse at 630-897-3000 for tee times. Golf lessons are also available. Junior golf school takes place in June; call instructor Larry Venzon at 847-915-5739.
8. Hot weather? Cool off by enjoying a movie at Cinemark Tinseltown USA Theatre, 320 S. Lincolnway. At press time, the first matinee showing is only $3/ticket. (Prices are subject to change, visit Cinemark.com for show times and ticket prices.) A birthday party room and arcade are available, too.
9. Bug lovers rejoice; Bugfest at Lippold Park and Red Oak Nature Center returns on Aug. 23, 9am–1pm. It’s the 5th year anniversary, with Tony the Bug Whisperer, the Amazing Flea Circus, Harry the Beekeeper and the bug collection from Terminix, among many other fun activities. Learn more at foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
10. Enjoy all that Messenger Library, 113 Oak St. has to offer. There’s more than just books within their walls! Check out activities, groups and classes for all ages and interests. Learn more and sign up at messengerpl.org. 11. North Aurora Days offers fun for all ages, so save the date – Aug. 1-3. Watch for much more in the July/August issue of Neighbors of North Aurora.